CAN: Camberwell Assessment of Need
Mike Slade, Graham Thornicroft, Linda Loftus, Michael Phelan and Til Wykes
The Camberwell Assessment of Need (CAN)
is a tried and
tested approach to assessing the needs of the severely mentally
ill. Rigorously developed by staff at the Section of Community
Psychiatry (PRiSM), Institute of Psychiatry, it records both staff
and patient assessments. Three versions are included, all designed
to be photocopied. The full clinical research versions give a
comprehensive assessment, and a short (one page) version (CANSAS)
is suitable for routine clinical use. Also included are materials
and instructions for a half-day CAN training workshop.
The CAN is suitable for use in
primary care settings, specialist mental health teams, and social
services. It will be of particular interest to care managers and
mental health staff who wish to meet the legal requirement that the
severely mentally ill receive a comprehensive needs
- Complete resource for the CAN, a needs assessment tool
for the severely mentally ill.
- Suitable for clinical and research use, and records both staff
and patient assessments of need.
- Increasingly used as the standardised approach to needs
assessment in international research.
- Established psychometric properties.
- All material included is designed to be photocopied.
- Includes manual, score sheets, training programme, case
vignettes, worked examples and answers to frequently asked
- Translations available in 9 other languages.
- Care managers, community and
in-patient adult mental health workers (psychiatrists, CPNs,
clinical psychologists, Approved Social Workers, OTs) and mental
- GPs, specialist tertiary mental
health services (forensic, drug and alcohol, etc.), audit staff and
other agencies (housing, judicial, etc.)
List of abbreviations.
- Needs assessment.
- Development of the Camberwell Assessment of Need (CAN).
- Using the Camberwell Assessment of Need Short Appraisal
- Using the Camberwell Assessment of Need - Clinical version
- Using the Camberwell Assessment of Need - Research version
- Training for the CAN.
- Frequently asked questions.
Appendix 1: Camberwell Assessment of
Need Short Appraisal Schedule (CANSAS).
Appendix 2: Camberwell Assessment of Need - Clinical version
Appendix 3: Score sheets for CAN-C.
Appendix 4: Camberwell Assessment of Need - Research version
Appendix 5: Score sheets for CAN-R.
Appendix 6: Training material.
Appendix 7: CAN reliability and validity.